About Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa
Bloemfontein, the "City of Roses", as it had become known locally, is placed with more pivotal importance than any other city in the country. The Judicial Capital, sixth largest city in South Africa, lies on the main road, rail and air links between north and south, east and west.
Bloemfontein, the Capital City of the Free State Province in South Africa, is centrally situated roughly in the middle of the Province, as well as in South Africa.
View Map of South Africa below:
Bloemfontein experiences a continental climate, with hot summer days and cooler, dry winters, often with frosts. Snow is rare but as recently as August 2006 it snowed in the city, with snowfalls occurring again at the airport on 26 July 2007.
View more detailed climate data for Bloemfontein according to the South African Weather Service.
Attractions around Bloemfontein:
- Anglo Boer War Museum- Age old conflicts barely dampened by the passage of more than a century come to life in this volatile museum. (Monument Road, Bloemfontein, 9301, +27 51 447 0079)
- Free State National Botanical Garden- This carefully landscaped and colorful garden, with paved walkways, nature talks and moonlight walks, is popular year round. (Rayton Road,off Dan Pienaar Drive, R702, 27 51 436 3612)
- Boyden Observatory- Boyden Observatory houses the third largest optical telescope in South Africa and provides tourists the opportunity to experience the dark and clear African skies through star watching and telescope viewing. Boyden is removed from the noise and lights of the city. Its long and auspicious history, coupled with cutting-edge astrophysical research, creates a special atmosphere unique for such a facility. The Boyden hill contains numerous buildings, telescope domes, vantage points, and a world-class auditorium. (Maselspoort Road, Bloemfontein, 9301, 27-844299080)
- Loch Logan Waterfront- Loch Logan Waterfront and surrounding areas form the entertainment and leisure hub of Bloemfontein. It includes the rugby, cricket and athletics stadiums. The tranquil setting incorporates the natural beauty of the surroundings as well as commercial flair.
- Windmill Casino & Entertainment Centre- The Windmill Casino is the all encompassing family playground in Bloemfontein with Diamond Lil’s, 7 Restaurants, “Super Bowling”, “Sweets from Heaven” and “Marche Rouge” to delight you.
- State President Swart Park, King’s Park & the Zoo- These parks are a blaze of colour almost all year round. Kings Park was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1925 – the popular Art Market is held here every 1st Saturday of the month. The Zoo can be enjoyed by young and old – a great place to enjoy a picnic.
- Rugby - The Free State Cheetahs
- Action Sport- Action Cricket, Action Netball and Action Soccer
- Free State Stadium -the 48 000-seater Free State Stadium is companion to an international standard athletics stadium
- Bloemfontein Celtic Soccer Club
- Bloemfontein Chamber of Commerce- The industry is here to provide valuable support & opportunities for our members and the business community at large, to develop, grow & prosper in today's business environment.
Car Hire Durban, Car Hire Cape Town, Car Hire Port Elizabeth, Car Hire Johannesburg, Car Hire South Africa